GenProof Study Groups provide an opportunity for participants to study the chapters in Mastering Genealogical Proof by Thomas W. Jones. Participants read each chapter and complete the exercises in the book, then meet together with other genealogists to discuss the concepts. Mentors volunteer their time to host the group discussions and answer questions on the topics.
Additional Information about the Program:
- 8 weeks of study and group discussions
- Weekly assignments from the book which must be completed and submitted online
- Total time commitment of 5-10 hours per week
- Self-study program
- Weekly one-hour Zoom meetings
- Groups of ~12 peers
- Guidance by an experienced mentor
- Enrollment fee of about $50
- Certificate of completion awarded
Students should be intermediate level and be able to discuss the concepts of the Genealogical Proof Standard, evidence analysis, source citations, and more. Registrants should demonstrate their education and experience including genealogy courses, conferences, institutes, or an equivalent.
To receive a completion certificate, participants must complete ALL the assignments in Mastering Genealogical Proof and participate in the weekly discussions. Assignments are not graded, nor are they reviewed by the mentor or by peers. Completing each assignment is its own reward!